Re: [2.3.31] ppp_deflate doesn't compile

Heinz Diehl (hd@elfie.rhein-neckar.de)
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 16:59:38 +0100

On Fri Dec 10 1999, Heinz Diehl wrote:

[....]
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
> -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fno-strength-reduce
> -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -DCPU=586 -march=k6 -funroll-loops -DMODULE
> -c -o ppp_deflate.o ppp_deflate.c
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 11
> make[2]: *** [ppp_deflate.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory /usr/src/linux-unstable/drivers/net'
> make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_net] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/linux-unstable/drivers'
> make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2

I'm quoting myself here, because I found out that not only ppp_deflate is
affected, there are also many other programs which fail to compile
with sig-11's, and it occurs _only_ when kernel 2.3.31 is running.

Booting the machine with any 2.2.xx kernel all programs compile
without any problems.

The problem is also independend of the gcc-version I use, the obly thing
they all have common is that the machine runs on 2.3.31 when the
sig-11's occur. The compiling process stops always at the same position,
and I can easily reproduce the behaviour.

Yes, I know the sig-11 FAQ and other documents about sig-11 but this
is definitely *no hardware problem*, it must have another cause.

So what can I do, it is a known problem or can anybody help me ?

-- Heinz.