Re: Kernel panics when using 64MB+ RAM

Marius Aamodt Eriksen (marius@linux.com)
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 22:59:10 +0200

--DSayHWYpDlRfCAAQ

Nup, 1 DIMM for me... Again.. I (again IMHO) _doubt_ that it has anything t=
o do with bad memory, I would simple expect an application to segfault, not=
the whole kernel to lock up.

Thanks for trying to help :)

Marius.

On Sat, Dec 11, 1999 at 09:42:26PM +0000, Steve Davies wrote:
> Hmm.. New software, will this mail get to you ???
>=20
> If you have 2 SIMMs in your system, swap them round, then boot with mem=
=3D64M.
> If there is a memory problem this should find it!!!
>=20
> Regards,
> Steve
>=20
> Marius Aamodt Eriksen wrote:
> >=20
> > Hi,
> > I've had a problem with my system, it goes like this:
> > When I boot the system with my full amount of RAM (128 MB), it always c=
rashes (at one point of another), a complete freezeup rather. It complaint=
s about "Ther kernel is not able to handle null pointer at virtual address.=
.." Sometimes, even MagicSysrq fails to save my day with this error. Howe=
ver, if I boot with 64MB RAM (linux mem=3D64M) the system works perfectly. =
First I thought it might have been some bad RAM, but somehow I doubt that =
would lock up the whole system, it just seems unlikely, especially with tho=
ught to how Linux is designed.
> >=20
> > Can anyone cast some light over this?
> >=20
> > TIA,
> >=20
> > Marius.
> >=20
> > --
> > Marius Aamodt Eriksen
> > linux.com - tuneup section ( http://tune.linux.com/ )
> > : marius@linux.com
> > : mae@online.no
> > : PGP Fingerprint =3D A8 75 CE 9A 9B 81 5A 4F 0D 60 39 71 CA 76 3A 17
> > : PGP Public Key @ http://marius.n3.net/key.asc
> >=20
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------=
---------
> > Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature
>=20
> --
> Steve Davies steve@one47.demon.co.uk
> One 47 Contracting Limited http://www.one47.demon.co.uk
>=20
> -

--=20
Marius Aamodt Eriksen
linux.com - tuneup section ( http://tune.linux.com/ )
: marius@linux.com
: mae@online.no
: PGP Fingerprint =3D A8 75 CE 9A 9B 81 5A 4F 0D 60 39 71 CA 76 3A 17
: PGP Public Key @ http://marius.n3.net/key.asc

--DSayHWYpDlRfCAAQ

--DSayHWYpDlRfCAAQ--