Re: 2.3.31: parport_lowlevel

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 19:45:31 +0000

On Sun, Dec 12, 1999 at 01:11:35PM -0500, Tim Waugh wrote:

> It's a bit of both. The parport_lowlevel alias shouldn't really be used
> any more, and instead the following line in modules.conf ought to take its
> place:
>
> post-install parport /sbin/modprobe -k parport_pc
>
> (adjust for your architecture). In 2.4, though, the intention is that the
> alias will still work but will trigger a warning message.

I've always viewed the post-install thing as a bit of a hack -- I admit I
don't have any concrete reasons for thinking this, though. Is there no way
of making things work under the existing scheme? Or perhaps adding features
to the dependency analysis done by depmod and friends?

--
Fortune: You will be attacked next Wednesday at 3:15 p.m. by six samuri
sword wielding purple fish glued to Harley-Davidson motorcycles.