Re: Calling VESA BIOS routines from kernel?

Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 16:35:01 -0800

Egbert Eich <eich@hilbert.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:

>Speaking for XFree86 we already read out DDC and I'm working on
>the autoconfiguration stuff for 4.x (x==0?).

I am familiar with your excellent code in the current 3.9.16
XFree86 snapshot in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/ddc. I have seen it work
on a number of hardware configurations. Thank you very much for
writing it.

I also appreciate the fact that you wrote it reasonably
modularly, so that it can be adapted to parsing DDC information
extracted from the VESA video BIOS. Having the X server talk to
the hardware to read DDC information is the most direct approach
and adds portability to running PC video cards on non-x86 platforms,
so I am glad that you wrote that too, but it will probably take at
least another year for developers to write and integrate DDC controls
for all of the different video cards for XFree86 (currently, 3.9.16
only supports DDC on some S3 chips, right?). So, I think that using
your code to extract the data from the VESA BIOS and generating
configuration files for X and svgalib from that will be more widely
applicable in the meantime.

I am glad to hear that it is possible to call the VESA BIOS
extensions from Linux, and it is even better news that it apparently
does not require additional kernel modifications. My intention in
using the kernel was only to do what I thought had to be done
in the kernel (do strange things with interrupts and descriptor
tables, etc.) and pass back the raw data. If this lrmi package can
do it entirely from user mode, that is better.

By the way, my efforts to track down your softbooter
software have turned up nothing and my efforts to track down
lrmi have turned up a few different versions, but none that I am
sure is the latest official version.
http://userweb.interactive.net/~joshv/lrmi-0.6.tar.gz is the closest
thing that I see to an official version, but I see that svgalib-1.4.0
includes a modified version of this and ddcprobe in RedHat-6.1
and Spiro (inherited from RedHat?) include files from it as
well. I would greatly appreciate a URL's for the distribution
points of either of these packages and would be happy to offer
FTP space if that would help.

Thanks again for writing the DDC parsing and control code.
I hope to get this stuff integrated into our boot time hardware
autoconfiguration process
(ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/private/adam/pnpboards-beta-2.tar.gz)
to support automatic adaptation to a monitor upgrade.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."