Re: vesafb on archs !ia32 [Re: Calling VESA BIOS routines from kernel?]

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 05:14:04 -0500

Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> > I'd definitely prfer the vm to be running in user mode via
> > callbacks. That keeps the 8086 vm handling a lot cleaner, and also
> > means it doesnt blow your machine to bits every time you meet a
> > bios bug. Having a single vm doing all the jobs makes sense
> > however, as it keeps the bios single threaded in its happy virtual
> > world

> Hopefully, it will also mean that such a monstrosity is only loaded
> by Xfree when it detects you have a card which it cannot initialize
> itself anyhow... (I'm assuming here that many non-sucky cards will be
> able to be initialize by their respective drivers eventually).

Any sort of kernel space hooks for an x86 emulator would be awesome. I
would use them immediately to get at some of the stuff S3 hides in its
BIOS.

In terms of which emulator to use,
Bochs is probably right out because it is non-free.
The DOSemu/TWIN emulator only does 16-bit (some video BIOS need 32-bit
instructions)
The x86emu project is already fairly far along, FWIW, and x86emu is what
XFree86 uses when VM86 isn't available, such as on a non-x86 box.
Ulrich Weigand also wrote an x86 binary emulator from scratch for the
WINE project, though alas he nor others have had time to integrate it
into WINE. [digress: I'm surprised some enterprising hacker hasn't
already tried to get Windows EXEs running on their Alpha/PPC/Sparc box]

--
Jeff Garzik              | Just once, I wish we would encounter
Building 1024            | an alien menace that wasn't immune to