Re: Regarding bash and 8th bit

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:44:39 +0300 (MSK)

In <3854B371.5C060D1A@timpanogas.com> Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com) wrote:

> Ben,

> Thanks for the info, but why on earth does someone even have to do this
> to get the damn to work right when it should do it in the first place.

Hmm ? Why ? Bash was developed long before linux was invented. And it was
used in places where 8bit was used for special purposes mostly. Now times
are changed but old defaults are still there.

> I don't even think anyone makes a seven bit terminal anymore, and even
> if they do, who cares, we should suppport PC STANDARDS since Linux is a
> PC OPERATING SYSTEM .....

Bash is part of GNU system, NOT linux system. It was adopted by Linux but
it's used on A LOT OF different systems including 7 bit terminals.

> Let the 7 bit terminals display **SHIT** output and put the right thing on
> the Linux "PC OPERATING SYSTEM" based display instead of limitng the whole
> planet to 7 bits just because Unix had the misfortune long ago of supporting
> 7 bit terminals?

Unix, parts of GNU (including bash) are using 7bit terminals RIGHT NOW in
A LOT OF places. Just since you are using bash on PC does not mean it's the
only place where bash is used. And bash DOES NOT limit you to 7 bits. It's
just default -- you can change it easily if you need to.