Re: vesafb on archs !ia32 [Re: Calling VESA BIOS routines from

Egbert Eich (eich@hilbert.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 12:09:02 +0100 (MET)

Gerd Knorr writes:

> vesafb is a very simple fb driver. It expects to find a initialized vga
> and the information "framebuffer memory starts at adress foo, video mode
> is 800x600 at 16 bpp". The initialization is done using the VESA bios by
> the real mode startup code.
Why can't we turn on/switch the thin on run time?
Have a simple utility execute the bios call from user space
and then inform vesafb of the new paramters. But please:
no IA32 emulator in the kernel!

> On PPC (+sparc?) offb does much the same: Video is initialized by Open
> Firmware, offb just uses the configured video mode.

Egbert.