Re: Bash Issues

Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:45:12 -0700

Your gonna loave how this stuff looks on an ansi terminal.

Jeff

Alan Cox wrote:

> ASCII is 7bit. I think you mean the PC character set non standard...
> I think ALTCHARSET gets you the PC characters (cp437 is it ?)

I think this is where the communication breakdown occurred, our use of
the "ASCII" term. In PC lingo (and in all PC based literature since
about 1986 on the subject), ASCII is assumed to be the PC character set
for those of us from the "DOS/Windows world". To unix folks, "ASCII"
means something different -- a richer and more specific definition as to
what this refers to (which is why I and some unix folks seem to talk
past each other on this topic).

Jeff