Re: Regarding bash and 8th bit

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:14:06 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

>> good reason is not in the style of Linux. I personally have no
>> need for 7bit terminals, and am not likely to ever have, however
>> I know that others out there in fact do have a use for them, and
>> likely will for some time now.
>
>> I thought that *I* was an adamant gun blazing loudmouth from time
>> to time, but my hat goes off to you - no contest.
>
>Oh. And if want to see terminal without any line-drawing characters...
>Just take you brand-spank-new Windows98 SE and run telnet. Yes, standard
>Windows's telnet in default configuration does not have line-drawing
>characters...

Yes, 100 bonus points for that one! That is true, Windows telnet
is very brain damaged. Microsoft started out with BSD source,
and couldn't even invest enough time to get it to work properly
in Windows at all. You'd think that they'd have done better
having lifted BSD source code to start with. Same for ftp too...

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org