RE: Linux 2.2.14pre13

Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 06:51:30 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Jones D (ISaCS) wrote:

> Maybe such incompatabilities should be documented someplace?
> I have a few systems with mixed hard disks (mostly IBM's & Maxtor's)
> Sometimes I get DMA not being enabled when the chipset & hard disks
> are capable of it.. Could I be witnessing the same problem?

Do you have model numbers?
It has been reported to me by various controller makers that Maxtor is
getting loose with their ASIC, but that is hard to recreate a work around.
In general, I know of no issues between "IBM's & Maxtor's".

The "WD & Maxtor" issues was an imperical test.
The details are nasty, but it goes something like this.....

i386 based kernel and compiler......all is cool.
i486 based kernel and i386 based compiler......all is cool.
i486 based kernel and compiler......all appears okay, kooky.
i586 based kernel and i386 based compiler......all is not nice.
i586 based kernel and i486 based compiler......FS begins to collapse.
i586 based kernel and compiler......FS gone and never got a build.

Only after one aproaches full optimization, does the FS fall apart with
MAJOR write errors.

If you have time to run a bench mark like this, you will have imperical
data to make a claim about drive timing issues to the vendor. Only
after you can present that kind of case, do they generally confess the
error.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy