Re: 2.3.32-pre4/SMP still doesn't boot on Compaq Proliant 1600

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:22:34 +0000 (GMT)

> On 14 Dec 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > Anyway, as a heads-up: 2.3.32 has the new block device queueing code,
> > courtesy of Eric Youngdale (and huge thanks to Alan Cox for walking it
> > over and making sure it works and is clean). Expect some drivers to be
>
> What does it buy us?

Per driver queues,cleaner plug/unplug, and the ability of drivers to do
sensible things like per disk queues if they wish. Mostly however it gets
us the new scsi layer code that uses it. My fibrechannel now mostly works in
2.3.x