Re: Bash Issues

Mark H. Wood (mwood@IUPUI.Edu)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:35:42 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> Your gonna loave how this stuff looks on an ansi terminal.

I keep wondering what it's going to look like on a SPARC, AlphaStation,
Macintosh, and suchlike.

> Jeff
>
> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > ASCII is 7bit. I think you mean the PC character set non standard...
> > I think ALTCHARSET gets you the PC characters (cp437 is it ?)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I think this is where the communication breakdown occurred, our use of
> the "ASCII" term. In PC lingo (and in all PC based literature since
> about 1986 on the subject), ASCII is assumed to be the PC character set
> for those of us from the "DOS/Windows world". To unix folks, "ASCII"
> means something different -- a richer and more specific definition as to
> what this refers to (which is why I and some unix folks seem to talk
> past each other on this topic).

That does make some sense. Trouble is, what "ASCII" is is not a matter of
opinion; it's a USA national standard. Does that help?

BTW somebody brought up "VT100 escape sequences". One might not know it
from looking at some emulators' buggy implementations, but this is also
not open to interpretation; there should be a DEC-STD-??? document that
defines it, and it's a subset of another ANS X3.something.

Let's be careful out there.

Please, no more software products offering a "richer experience"!  I have
indigestion of the brain already.  Give me a more ascetic experience.