Re: 64-bit shm: abi problems

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:43:18 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, David S. Miller wrote:

> Yes I see someone thought it would be a keen idea to
> change shm_segsz to size_t from int. Why? I'm quite
> happy with a 2G limit; you should have been using mmap
> well before that anyway.
>
> mmap() still doesn't support anonymous SHARED+WRITE, which is why
> people want sysv/ipv SHM.

We really should try to fix the anon shared mmap issue, it should be
possible these days reasonably easily (it's really mostly an issue of
making sure that we can allocate "swapper_inode" inodes on the fly, with
the one special swapper_inode remaining for regular paging).

I kind of agree with Richard that we don't really need to care all that
much about 2GB+ mappings, at least until people start really complaining.

At the same time I agree with Kanoj that this should just not be an issue
at all for new 64-bit architectures..

Linus