Re: Kernels do not compile anymore

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:21:15 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

>> Not Red Hat afaik. Slackware did a 1.3.59 release once, which at the time was
>> not a bad idea at all. We could probably have gone from 1.3.59 to 2.0pre but
>> people did more stuff and 2.0 took a lot longer.
>
>Slackware also did a 1.1.x ([45]9?)-based distro, I'm sure. That would have
>been sometime between late '94 and early '95, I think.

Quite possible, however the original poster implied that
distributions are currently releasing dists with devel kernels,
and although I'm sure that one or more of the dists listed on
lwn.net does do so, I'm also sure that none of the mainstream
dists accounting for 99% of the people using Linux out there
releases a dist with a devel kernel.

Even if they did, it might be the one exception to the rule in
one thousand, and saying that any particular vendor releases
dists with devel kernels all the time is simply not true.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org