Nailing e820 memory detection

nathan.zook@amd.com
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:06:30 -0600

"Somebody" here...

I've never been convinced that I understood what was going on with Tigran's
problem. I'm particularly bothered by his temp fix, which, afaik, should
have been a nop.

>From previous Tigran posts:

> > 2.3.25-pre1 says:
> >
> > e820: 0009f800 @ 00000000 (usable)
> > e820: 00000800 @ 0009f800 (reserved)
> > e820: 00010000 @ 000f0000 (reserved)
> > e820: 03f00000 @ 00100000 (usable)
> > e820: 00010000 @ fec00000 (reserved)
> > e820: 00010000 @ fee00000 (reserved)
> > e820: 00080000 @ fff80000 (reserved)
> > e820: 00000000 @ 00000000 (usable)
> >
> > Memory: 49088k/917504k available (0k kernel code, 0k reserved, 0k data,
0k
> > init, 0k highmem)

> Interestingly, if one manually forces "mem=64M" at boot, it works. So, I
> am satisfied with 2.3.25 (i.e. all known to me problems since 2.3.18 are
> gone, except the larg disk stuff but "linear" option in LILO workarounds
> it (with a dangerous kernel message but my systems usually live not
> much longer than a few days so a complete reinstall will cure it anyway)).

The only odd thing is that length 0 region at the end, which my patch will
stomp all over, but I can't see in current code that it should matter. Or
did I miss a fencepost?

Nathan