Re: IDE Driver Reports Erroneous Errors While Mounting NWFS 2.0 at boot

Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:19:17 -0700

Guest section DW wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 03:16:23PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
> > If NWFS 2.0 is added to the MST modules file during system boot, with
> > automount commands in the fstab file, during FS module initialization,
> > the following bogus error is reported:
> >
> > access beyond end of device
> > 03:00 rw=3 want=1715620 limit=1714018
> >
> > What's strange here is that the device is 0x3451E0 sectors in size, but
>
> Hmm. Then let us compute: 0x3451E0 sectors is 1714416 blocks.
> And 1715620 is more than 1714416, so indeed, this is past the end.

Except I called set_blocksize(dev, 512) prior to attempting the I/O
operation, and the driver failed to change the blocksize from 1024 byte
blocks to 512 byte blocks. I discovered that the if i do this after
blocksize function call gets ignored (???). Technically, since I called
this function, it wasn't off the end, but the driver thought it was.

I've coded around it so it's not affecting us anymore, but it might be
interesting to determine why the IDE driver is doing this.....

Jeff