RE: 2.3.34-pre1: chopped boot command line problem

nathan.zook@amd.com
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:17:26 -0600

You might not be aware, but the command line is pre-parsed by the memory
initialization code. We put it into a 256 byte buffer, so if the command
line giving problems is less than 256 bytes, it is SEP.

As a help to the SEs of the world, knowing if the chopped options are being
used or not would be the first step of divide-and-conquer, namely,
determining if this is a reporting issue or a "real" issue. You just
answered that it is a "real" issue.

Have fun, we are!!

Nathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigran Aivazian [mailto:tigran@sco.COM]
Sent: Friday, December 17, 1999 10:13 AM
To: Zook, Nathan
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: RE: 2.3.34-pre1: chopped boot command line problem

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 nathan.zook@amd.com wrote:
> First, this is not our problem. The buffer we are working on holds 256
> bytes, so this looks like a SEP.

Nay, this is not Someone Else's Problem, this is OP (Our Problem). By
"our" I meant the Linux Community in general, not the E820 Group.

> Does the ramdisk work?

I don't care if ramdisk works or not (well, I do which is why I use
bde-ramdisk patch) - I just put ramdisk parameters there as example.
And no, ramdisk does not see the parameters, i.e. it uses the defaults
(which is why I changed the default 4096K to 8192K - I need big ramdisks).
The /proc/cmdline displays saved_command_line[] (up to '\0'
terminator, see fs/proc/proc_misc.c:cmdline_read_proc() calling sprintf())
which should be an exact copy made by parse_mem_cmdline() very early.

So, it is a problem and needs fixing. Btw, if you are not working on it -
that's good - I will take it as my weekend hacking project :)

Regards,
Tigran.