Re: More on the IDE multiwrite problem

Mark Lord (mlord@pobox.com)
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 17:17:07 -0500

Jes Sorensen wrote:
..
> Dave> To handle all cases, if we did callbacks, we should need a
> Dave> default one which did the disable_irq/enable_irq trick.
>
> This is still way better than enforcing the use of
> disable_irq()/enable_irq() on everybody.

No it isn't, because the end result would still be the same
for most systems: this code would almost NEVER be executed.

All systems built in the past few years now use DMA transfers
for the IDE bus, completely bypassing the multwrite code.

The disable/enable is just to continue doing what we have
been doing all along, but is only needed with older chipsets
that cannot do DMA.

--
Mark Lord
Real-Time Remedies Inc.