Re: [Fwd: Dual Celery on BP6]

Rob Hall (rwh@charter.net)
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 01:48:36 -0500

Mike Frisch wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Rob Hall wrote:
>
> > It has been my experience that sometimes power supplies will be
> > an issue with motherboard stability, be them single cpu or smp... It is entirely
> > possible that the 300W power supply does stabilize the power output to the
> > motherboard, especially if the BP6 pulls a higher than normal load....
>
> Let's hope it is something this simple... in my particular configuration,
> I will admit to having a $25 ATX case (by choice) that may not be
> providing clean, consistent power.

It's entirely possible.... also, the voltage regulator on the
motherboard might be an issue, possibly in conjunction with the board(I believe one of
our esteemed colleauges pointed out the regulator as a possible culprit)... Now, if we
could get Abit to look into the problem... They may have already tried this, but it's
always good to know...
What makes this problem so damn weird is the fact that it's happening in
random configurations, with diffierently clocked cpus and bus rates, but by the same
token, other people with the exact same configurations aren't having problems... That
would lead me to believe that it is definitely a motherboard-related issue, and Abit
should look into it.. they've got a fine product here, I'd hate to see it shot down by
something as trivial as a regulator....

Rob Hall