Re: [LINUX-ABIT] Myth or Real?

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:07:16 +0100 (MET)

Ted Sikora wrote:
> Chris Chiappa wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 09:10:27PM -0500, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> > > I would like to think this is the case, but I am not convinced. I have
> > > run across a few posts where the BP6 was stable for long periods of time
> > > with high loads. One that comes to mind was from someone running only
> > > SCSI drives and IIRC 2 SETIs for quite some time. This would seem to
> > My system is 100% SCSI and is flaky with 2 SETIs.
> >
> > > My theory of the day as to what make this so hard to nail down is that
> > > there is more than one issue. I think the BX overheating is definitely
> > > one. Maybe power supply.
> > Don't think so. I have the thermal grease applied to the BX chipset and a
> > case with very good cooling (Inwin, but with a PC Power & Cooling
> > "UltraCool" or something like that power supply).

> I sent a message to ABit technical-support and engineering both here and
> in Taiwan. As soon as I hear something I will post it. Hopefully we can
> put an end to these errors for good.

I have the thermal paste and a cooler on top of the BX chip. This was
stable for about a month before it started hanging again last week.

It just froze on me while playing an MP3, and displaying the
screensaver, while I was involved with some paper. This is the first
time that it crashes on me while I'm in the room. Otherwise it only
crashes when I'm away. The screensaver had kicked in, but X hadn't
blanked the screen yet.

My machine is normally not playing MP3s when it crashes.

I'm going to look into the 'breaking a spinlock' thingy, hoping that
it might turn up something....

My system is IDE, although I have an NCR875 card installed. (currently
nothing connected).

Roger.

 "I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you."