Re: [Fwd: Dual Celery on BP6]

Derrick Steed (derrick@m-steed.freeserve.co.uk)
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 19:56:59 -0000

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. When you step the clock down, you
also step down on the heat generated - the heat affects the chip timings...
It's all related, you change one parameter and several others change too.

I accept that raising the clock speed can possibly produce errors, but the
actual cause my be a secondary effect - such as: degraded timing tolerances
due to the chips being subjected to temperatures beyond their designed
operating point.

There are several things which need to be cooled: video card, memory, BX
chip, processors, PSU.

I use a bulk standard (Maplin - sort of like TANDY) 250W PSU, two 366's
O/C'd to 550MHz, a 40x IDE CD drive, two 2GB scsi drives, one 8.4GB UDMA IDE
drive, floppy, Voodoo banshee AGP, ancient ISA soundblaster 16, 3Com 3C509B
ISA, and... a good heatsink and fan on the banshee, a good heatsink and fan
on the BX, good heatsinks and fans on the processors, a 80mm fan pulling in
at the front, a 80mm fan feeding the processor and BX fans via a plenum from
the side.

I don't think it's the PSU, unless, of course, it's broken.

Rgds,

Derrick.