Re: Possible workaround for buggy E801 call in 2.2.x

Prashant TR (prashant_tr@yahoo.com)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 07:28:15 +0530

nathan.zook@amd.com wrote:

>This is great! I've been so focused on validating the e820 return that I
>hadn't worried about e801. Could you send a pointer to the documentation?

http://www.ctyme.com/rbrown.htm and go through the directory
of INT 15h.

>(We are talking about having e801 off by default, but users have been known
>to enable options they shouldn't on one or two occasions.)

But why? E820 is even more worse. There are fewer
BIOSes that support this. But this call tells you about
memory holes. Ideally, this is what needs to be done:

1> First check if E820 works. If it works, then we have no probs.
2> Next, go for E801 and do this again.
3> Finally, use the old INT 15h/88h.

All this is because different BIOS manufacturers used different calls
for getting large physical mem size.

An extract of E801:

AX = E801h

Return:
CF clear if successful
AX = extended memory between 1M and 16M, in K (max 3C00h = 15MB)
BX = extended memory above 16M, in 64K blocks
CX = configured memory 1M to 16M, in K
DX = configured memory above 16M, in 64K blocks
CF set on error

Prashant