Re: Fix for ide problems in 2.2.14pre15

TenThumbs (tenthumbs@cybernex.net)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 06:57:09 -0500

Mark Lord wrote:

> Okay,
>
> Here is a patch that fixes all of the IDE trouble
> I can find/reproduce from 2.2.14pre15 (including the multwrite bugs):
>
> -- completely restores the multwrite and write behaviour
> back to what was in 2.2.13 (two very subtle one-liners).
>
> -- fixes the unsigned<=0 comparisms (day-1 bug in IDE).
>
> -- fixes a problem I found today whereby two IDE interfaces
> sharing a PCI interrupt get confused when using PIO mode
> (was never an issue for DMA transfers, which is why most
> users never see this problem).
>
> I don't know if it completely fixes Petri's system or not,
> but he should give it a try.
>
> Is anyone out there still having IDE trouble once this patch
> is applied to a fresh 2.2.14pre15 ??
>
> Alan -- I'll be away for a bit beginning tomorrow
> (I've already delayed the trip 36 hours to work on this problem).
>
> I can read/reply email, but won't have access to the machine
> I used to reproduce the multwrite bugs.

The multwrite errors are gone. Thank you.

I hesitate to bring this up but, after about 6 hours of using pre15+patch,
named coughed up some errors, dumped core, and died. When I tried to see what
was going on, I got some "No processes avalable" messages and then the system
stabilized. I have never seen either of these things happen before. Normally,
I wouldn't think it's IDE related but you never know.

Also, your patch wants to go 9 lines earlier for me. I unpacked a fresh 2.2.13
and applied all the patches and I get the same result. I don't know if it's
important.

--
So, strategic sweet spots are not going to align an user-friendly
drop dead date.  The customer zero bug count empowers lightweight