Re: Fix for ide problems in 2.2.14pre15

Petri Kaukasoina (kaukasoi@elektroni.ee.tut.fi)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:45:35 +0200

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 06:31:51PM +0900, Yasuhide OOMORI wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 08:05:47AM +0200,
> Petri Kaukasoina <kaukasoi@elektroni.ee.tut.fi> wrote:
> >2.2.14pre15 + ide-2.2.14pre15.fix4:
> > hdparm -m16 -u1 /dev/hda : memory corruption
>
> How can I see the existence of memory corruption?

Run two memtest processes (by Simon Kirby,
ftp://blue.netnation.com/pub/memtest.c) with memory sizes of 2/3 of the
total ram so that the machine swaps heavily when the two processes are
fighting for resident memory. After a few minutes one of the memtest
processes reports memory error. It means that there has been an error in
either writing data to swap or reading it back. The memory corruption is
silent so that there are no error messages in syslog nor does the memtest
process die of any signal.

I use PIO mode in multiple sector mode (IDE block mode). The problem does
not affect modern systems which use DMA.