RE: [OT] format of scsi return codes?

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:15:22 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Jakma, Paul wrote:

> So basically the drive was totally unresponsive.
>
> Hardware data point for those interested:
>
> In the space of 3 months i've had 3 IBM SCSI disks just go dead on me! 2
> DDRS u2w, 1x DGHS uw. Connected to BusLogic BT-958. (also tried Sym83C785)
>
> In each case the drive has just stopped responding on the bus, and is not
> seen by BIOS/firmware or linux on reboot. (but they can still be heard to
> spin up normally). Though on rare occasions they mysteriously are detected,
> but then die again after 1->2 hours..
>
> My other seagate disks are fine. (in 2 machines connected to APC Smart UPS
> 420).
>
> Am I just unlucky or are IBM disks a bit fragile?

hrm, not to get into a disk war, but I've had good luck w/ IBM disks
in the past. Are the seagate disks in a different machine? I mean, if it's
that all the disks in one machine keep going bad, there might be other
problems w/ that machine. If the seagate's are in the same machine, then I'd
have to say you seem very unlucky. :) If not, then perhaps there is a
problem w/ the power supply or cooling or something in the machine where the
disks keep dieing?

Stephen