Re: RasterMan on linux and threads

Martin Dalecki (dalecki@cs.net.pl)
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 23:51:30 +0100

Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Jamie Lokier wrote:
>
> > Richard Gooch wrote:

> > > You're being insulting. Not just once, but twice. Is this really
> > > necessary, especially in public? Raster could have flamed back after
> > > the first comment, but he didn't. So you had to keep pushing?!?
> >
> > Thank you Richard. Many people, including very intelligent and
> > literate people have difficulty spelling. There's a whole branch of
> > psychology to study the phenomenon. We just observed that some people
> > are sensitive to bad spelling too.
> >
> > Marcin's words seem insulting but may be a simple misunderstanding.
> > Rasterman's words could be interpreted as "i try hard to spell badly"
> > (because I think it's k3wl), or "i try hard to spell properly and it
> > takes me a lot of effort".
>
> Well said. However, if The Poster is simply too lazy
> to write a message in such a way as to render it easily
> comprehensible to its recipients, then I consider that
> more insulting than a simple, if somewhat insensitive
> misunderstanding.
>
> I found Raster's posts hard to read, because they were
> under-punctuated, under-capitalised and badly mistyped
> in a way that led me to believe that he was not having
> trouble spelling, but merely that he valued his time and
> effort in making a legible message over that of the L-K
> subscribers who expended considerable effort in deciphering
> it. That being the case, it's no better than posting
> untrimmed, unwrapped, jeapordy-quoted HTML asking about
> ncurses.
>
> I publicly apologise in advance if I have misrepresented
> anyone.

The fact is that I'm a (slight kind of) legasthemic on my own, and
therefore
I know the difference between what's laziness and a real problem
of the person himself. BTW. If one is getting at the level
of "RasterMan" then he should just seriously consider to use
some kind of automated help/advice (ispell). That's one of the things
computers are good at, at least. So, well the "insult" on my site was
fully intentional.

--
	Marcin Dalecki