Re: SCSI-GENERIC

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:08:09 +0300 (MSK)

In <4.2.2.19991222133815.00b0bcf0@post.continuus.ie> Stephane Dudzinski (stephane@continuus.ie) wrote:
> Ok, that's a point but would that explain that SCSI cards (like the
> adaptec 78xx AHA-2940 u/w SCSI) would start to have some
> strange behaviors like SCSI timeouts whatever you are trying to do ?

aic7xxx cards are crap. Doug Ledford doing herculean work to make them usable
somehow but they are still do not work well (they constantly hung under really
heavy load). That's all. It's not problem with linux's SCSI driver or anything.
It's bad hardware design. There are only one solution to problem: throw out
your card in window and buy Buslogic.

> At 01:20 PM 12/22/99 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
>> > and whether those changes incorporated Jorg's ideas. One of the things
>> > preventing me
>> > from getting my hands dirty with the 2.3 series is this specific potential
>> > problem.
>>
>>For both 2.2 and 2.3.x Douglas Gilbert has been redoing the scsi generic
>>code and improved it quite considerably

P.S. If you want to say "but there are so many vendors who are using aic7xxx
in servers" then I want to remind you that there are so many verdors who are
installing WindowsNT on servers as well. Now what ?