Re: [HUMOR] Quake 1 source code.

Marek Habersack (grendel@vip.net.pl)
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 14:52:44 +0100

--DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M

* Stephen Frost said:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:
>=20
> > On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> > > Also, it doesn't gunk up the rest of your system if you arn't using i=
t.
> > > So it's not a big deal.=20
> >=20
> > But it seems certain people on this list are insistent on removing choi=
ces
> > from the users. Optional kernel config? Nope. They dont want you to have
> > it at all.
>=20
> Erm, no, I got the impression most were trying to not have the kernel
> encompass all of user space... There are lots of things that are very go=
od
> at being modular. This doesn't mean they need to be in the kernel. Would
> you want bash in the kernel?
Of course no, but there are some things that benefit from being put in the
kernel - especially daemons serving huge files - nfsd and httpd for example.
Also, don't forget that sooner or later linux will be used in embedded
systems, very often with limited space for user-space stuff and also
requiring speed and reliability (think of web-manageable switches, hubs,
routers, RAS servers, gasoline distributors etc.) - and most certainly
daemon implemented in the kernel will most certainly be faster and more
reliable than the user-space one (and certainly much smaller). Also, that
one thing or another is in the SOURCES doesn't mean you have to use it. I
won't use khttpd most probably, but I don't mind it being in the sources -
if it's good for some people, it's good for me as well. The key to success
is a CHOICE and FLEXIBILITY, IMHO.

marek

--DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M

--DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M--