Re: 2.3.34 patch to stop kmod/modprobe loops

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 03:22:17 +1100

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:57:31 -0700,
Richard Gooch <rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca> wrote:
>Instead of limiting the number of kmods, which doesn't really fix the
>problem anyway, why not just disallow SysVIPC=m and kmod=y in the
>kernel configuration?

SysVIPC is irrelevant to kmod. It was used for kerneld and the
problems it caused was one of the reasons that kerneld was replaced
with kmod. To rephrase your question - why not disallow Unix domain
sockets as a module when kmod is enabled?

(a) People want to have Unix sockets as modules. No idea why but they
do. Enough people have tripped over this loop using module sockets
to make it worthwhile pacthing it.

(b) The kmod/module loop caused by syslog() is not the only possible
loop, just the most common. I wanted a general fix.

(c) Forbidding one combination only works until the next kernel change
that trips this problem. A general fix is better.