Re: Bug at spinlock.h line 92

Sergey Kubushin (ksi@ksi-linux.com)
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 21:52:54 +0200 (EET)

On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, Manfred Spraul wrote:

> Sergey Kubushin wrote:
> >
> > I attach the ksymoops output on the oops sequence and the oopses itself. I
> > do really hope that someone will fix this bug.
> >
> > Call Trace: [eepro100:eepro100_init+-643084/10933] [eepro100:eepro100_init+-535563/10933]
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> The offset is larger then the length of the function. This often means
> that the module which caused the oops was not loaded/loaded to a
> different address when ksymoops tried to decode the oops.
>
> It's virtually impossible to analyze such an oops report, could you
> crash your server once more?
>
> * disable the EIP translation of klogd [klogd -x]
> * insmod the scsi module.
> * save your /proc/ksyms and /proc/modules file.
> * crash the server
> * <restart?>
> * run 'ksymoops -k /tmp/ksyms -l /tmp/modules' and post the result.

Unfortunately I did not suceed :(( I did all the recommended magic steps
several times, but I can't catch an oops...

The one that has been posted has been done with klogd running without -x
option. Kernel messages was logged to another machine. Now the kernel locks
up before the oops is logged (I think that EIP translation takes some time
that allows the oops to be logged over the network). The best result is the
first two lines of the oops and that's all :((

I can't copy the oops from the screen by hand either - it gets scrolled,
than I see a message about hardware lockup on CPU0 and console shuts up.
Then the system is dead - no response to ping etc.

I'll try to redirect them to an IDE disk but I doubt it'd help - the system
freezes rock solid...

Any ideas what can be done to help to localize a bug?

> How much memory do you have installed? 256 MB?

Yep.