Re: patch to turn internal speaker on/off

Ryan Gordon (ryan_gordon@hotmail.com)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 00:01:31 PST

> > So I've got some kernel patches to disable beeps and blips > from the
>internal speaker.
>What is wrong with "setterm -blength 0" and "xset -b off"?

Nothing. Both are good finer-grained alternatives, but only control the
basic bell tones (ascii 7 sent to stdout, etc...). My patch is a little more
forceful, since someone could still (regardless of xset and setterm's
actions) use ioctl() calls to /dev/console to ligitimately make sound. One
of this patch's aims to be a software equivalent of removing the internal
speaker from the machine altogether...which results in a slightly smaller
kernel, to boot. :)

Also, at bootup, if I have a pcmcia card in my machine, the card detecting
code likes to beep a few times. Which is fine if you like that sort of
thing, but this patch prevents squeaking at bootup time before your init
scripts can issue a setterm command.

That's my thinking on the matter. Again, I hope these patches can be of use
to someone.

--ryan.
(please CC me; I'm not subscribed to the mailing list. Thanks!)