Re: patch to turn internal speaker on/off

Ryan C. Gordon (ryan_gordon@hotmail.com)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 17:03:16 -0500

> Wouldn't it be better to adjust the behavior from /proc than via an
> ioctl?

I originally had code to do this, but I saw two problems to this method:

1) It touches a lot more source files and adds a bunch of code in the kernel
for what should be a relatively minor patch, and
2) (Obviously) adds another entry in /proc ...which I wasn't sure was wise
to throw "just anything" in there. Maybe I'm wrong on that point, though.

Anyhow, if people have a want for that, I'll put a /proc/intspeaker (or
whatever) entry into the kernel, but I'd like to see if the ability to turn
off the speaker is deemed worth having in the first place.

Has anyone actually applied and tried the patch yet?

--ryan.
(Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to the mailing list. Thanks!)