Re: unaccessible files (SMP) with 2.3.35pre6

Simon Kirby (sim@stormix.com)
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 00:28:37 -0500

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 04:09:26AM +0100, Christian Laursen wrote:

> Christian Laursen <cfsl@jyde.dk> writes:
>
> > In an attempt to compile Mozilla, after running ./configure several
> > files were left in a state, where they could not be accessed nor
> > removed.
> >
> > When trying to do an ls, I just get the message
> > 'ls: filename: Input/output error' for every file.
> >
> > This happens on an ext2 filesystem.
>
> When I did a forced fsck on the filesystem, I got lots of messages
> telling 'file has deleted/unused inode xxxx'.
>
> So it seems, that they were only partially deleted when i ran
> 'rm -rf'.

I've also seen this problem here, starting perhaps with 2.3.34, but I've
only seen the message twice, so it may have been before that. I got one
of these files (Input/output error reported) later in the netfilter tree
after having compiling and installing it with no problems earlier in the
day. I believe the first report came from updatedb. I've also seen this
once while untarring and diffing the kernel tree.

Dual SLOT1 Celeron SMP box, IDE disk, 1k block EXT2fs, following hdparm

[sroot@oof:/root]# hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
multcount = 8 (on)
I/O support = 1 (32-bit)
unmaskirq = 1 (on)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
nowerr = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 8 (on)
geometry = 1027/255/63, sectors = 16514064, start = 0

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communcations Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]