Re: Best Network setup for linux/unix

From: Steve Dodd (steved@loth.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 16:37:21 EST

Hi -- can you nuke the HTML alternative part, and set your mailer to line
wrap properly?

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 02:48:21PM -0600, Brent Clements wrote:

> I need some suggestions on setting up a unix server farm that all gets
> authenticated from a single server. What is the best way of doing this?

> I know I could use NIS but is that really the best way to do it?

I've just started playing with NIS and it "works for me", and seemed pretty
simple to configure and set-up, too (using Debian, anyway). I'd guess that
it's also the option that's likely to be most widely supported across
different operating systems and distributions.

> The problem we are having is that we are using two cobalts, one intel web
> server, and finally one intel mail server. I want a centralized
> authentication system that allows different machines to run their own
> services yet authenticate to one central authentication database..Any
> ideas?

Well, NIS would be one. Another answer would be to do some simple scripting
to periodically pull / push changes and incorporate them into /etc/{passwd,
group} on each machine. It's not exactly hi-tech but if your databases don't
change very often, why over complicate things?

The other thing you could look at is PAM and what modules are available for
it. It's not something I have any experience with, though.

> Also is this the correct place to post this question?

I don't see why not.

--
Ah, but you're forgetting Rimmer directive 273 which states just as
clearly, "No chance you metal bastard!"