RE: on topic this time :)

From: Mark H. Wood (mhwood@ameritech.net)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 21:51:07 EST

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Chris Knipe wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, John LeMay wrote:
> >What if I tried to use RG6 or RG59 (~72 ohm impedence as opposed to 50 ohm
> >in RG8 and RG58) This makes little difference in the RF world. Is it
> >different in the network world?
> Wouldn't doing this just hammer on the performance on the network ?

Yup. Impedance mismatches cause power loss to reflections. Reflections
cause errors. Low signal level causes errors. Errors cause
retransmits. More signalling = more errors. Stick with the specified
cable or it will misbehave.

> >What about shielding? Obviously the more the better, but were there minimum
> >requirements?
> You can run an coax networks without shielding - I have 50Ohm Coax cable
> here that is unshielded, and working - but it is not recommended,

??? In .us "coaxial" means an insulated center conductor surrounded by
shield wrap or braid. The shield is one of the two conductors that make
the circuit.

--
Mark H. Wood, radical centrist     OpenPGP ID 876A8B75     mhwood@ameritech.net
01/01/00 00:00:00 -- Apocralypse Now