Trying to be secure behind a cable modem

From: Michael Kujawa (kujawa@cs.ucf.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 01:52:28 EST

   I have a home network of two windows computers (real IP addresses from
DHCP) connected to the 'net via a cable modem. I'd like to add some
measure of protection to these boxes after I caught someone snooping our
network shares. For now I've removed the shares and only turn them on when
I need them (with passwords, of course), but I'd like something to keep
IPX, NETBEUI, and a handful of TCP and UDP ports from ever getting to (or
from) the cable modem. I'd prefer to do this without buying an IP for the
firewall, but I don't know how to set up a "transparent" firewall. Could
someone point me in the right direction?

-Mike
kujawa@cs.ucf.edu