sendmail SPAM

From: Grischa Schuering (schuering@inity.de)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 16:20:46 EST

Hello,

I don't know if this matter was talked about before, but I have a concrete
problem with SPAM, sent via my sendmail server.

As I know, all newer sendmail distributions are configured automatically
with anti-spam rules. One rule that I know of is, that either source or
destination email address has to be local.

Now the person, that is using my server for spam mail, uses an email account
that exists almost on all unix systems, root@www.mydomain.com. ANd my server
relays that mail, because the user root exists on the server.

Do you know of a secure config for sendmail that this does not happen?

The only thing I can think of is, configuring the server to just accept smpt
connections from a list of ips. But this would mean, that customers using
dynamically assigned ip address (e.g. aol, compusere and so on) can't send
emails, when the ip address changes.. THat shouldn't be a pratically useful
solutions.

What can I do ?

WHat do you do ?

Greetings,