Re: Log errors of network

From: Kendall Lister (kendall@charon.net.au)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 18:30:55 EST

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 lnet@col7.metta.lk wrote:

> I am trying to setup a small lan with 8 machines connected to my
> Redhat 6.0
>
> How/Where do I see Lan activities and errors my /var/log/messages does
> not give me any errors

Have you actually had any network errors? Normally device errors (and
other problems noticed by the kernel) will appear in your syslogd output -
however you should check /etc/syslogd.conf to make sure that you are
logging everything that you want to log. We remove /var/log/messages freom
our systems and send *.* to /var/log/complete.log - this can get large,
though.

Each service manager will generally log its activity; for example, Samba
will produce its own log, as will Squid, Apache, Sendmail, et cetera. Some
of these log files end up in /var/log, but you can find others in the
applications' directories, e.g. /usr/squid/log or /usr/local/apache/log,
depending on how you installed them (or how RedHat installed them).

The short answer is always, of course: if you haven't had any errors, be
happy - don't go looking for more... :)

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781