problems with NIS

From: Imran Patel (ipatel@crosswinds.net)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 01:40:56 EST

I am building a Beowulf cluster at my college. For this i tried to
configure the NIS services so that all the information about the users
on the console-less computing nodes were centrally maintained. I am
using Red Hat 6.1 dist and latest versions of ypbind, ypserv and
yp-tools.
    Now the problem is that although the NIS server (ypserv) and NIS
client (ypbind) are configured fairly correctly for the files such as
/etc/network, /etc/protocols, /etc/mail.aliases, /etc/hosts, the
important files /etc/passwd and /etc/group are not being correctly
accessed by the client.
    All the *.db maps are created when i configure the services
(including that of passwd and group). But when running the command:
    ypcat passwd OR
    ypcat group
i get an error such as:
No such map as passwd.byname.db(OR group.byname.db)
(something, something) RPC time out: Internal NIS error

However the ypcat command works fine for the other files mentioned
above.
Moreover, when the server boots, i get messages like
yp_???( ),cl???( ) RPC connection refused. errno=success
and i can't log in as a NIS shared user.
Can somebody help me out of it?
As a matter of fact, pasting the /etc/passwd to all the m/c seems to
works right now, but it's not that elegant;-)
(i mount the home directories on clients via NFS)

Secondly, I don't use shadow passwords over NIS because some people say
it does not utilize the shadow facility to its full potential. Why it is

so ?

Thirdly, Red Hat uses PAM as default. Can the above problems be due to
conflicts between PAM and NIS? (I have read this thing somewhere and
there is a solution of some editing in the files in /etc/pam.d/ which
itself is buggy)

Thanx in advance