Re: AW: Sendmail virtual users

From: David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 17:48:11 EST

the problem is not sendmail, it is whatever you use to retreive the
mail. Unlike NT solutions unix is a pile of interchangable pieces to do
the various jobs. Sendmail, Qmail, and others you will see mantioned send
the messages from one machine to another, when the mail arrives on the
destination machine they put the mail into a mailbox. The program that
provides the POP3/IMAP4 interface to that mailbox is completely
seperate.

Sendmail can seperate the mail into seperate mailboxes as many people have
shown you. The problem is retreiving that mail. The default access that is
provided only asks for a userid, not a userid@domain so it cannot deal
with duplicate userids (note it can easily deal with info@foo and info@bar
as long as the mailboxes are not both named info, info1 and info2 would
work) There are a few pop server programs that can deal with multiple
domains. I personally have chosen to not use them (lack of trust on my
part as to their reliability and scalability) and have instead gone with
the cyrus mail server and forcing non-duplicate userids. It is a solution
that I know can scale and I accept dealing with the issue "I need another
info@domain for this new domain, there login is info21"

David Lang