Re: BIND: Lame server?

From: Steve Edmunds (steve_ed@sgi.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 12:37:50 EST

Denis Voitenko wrote:

> I have a ton of record like this in /var/log/messages:
>
> Jan 9 19:15:31 cg551592-a named[111]: Lame server on 'carpoint.msn.com' (in
> 'msn.com'?): [207.172.3.9].53
>
> What exactly does "lame server" in named terms mean?

Hi Denis,

Your system "learned" that such&such nameserver was authoritative for such&such domain
but when the nameserver was queried it denied all knowledge.
There's nothing wrong at your end, and nothing you can do about these except to suppress
the message, there's probably a switch to named for this, I don't have it or the manpage
loaded so I can't check ;-)

Steve