Re: Log errors of network

From: Kendall Lister (kendall@charon.net.au)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 16:58:47 EST

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 lnet@col7.metta.lk wrote:

> I run qmail and that requres that I have a working DNS.
> My DNS is sometimes not resolving when I try to log in via LAN.

'Sometimes' is a difficult problem to resolve; can you identify any
particular times when it fails consistently? Also, when you say you 'log
in via LAN', what exactly do you mean - are we talking telnet, Netatalk,
Samba, or just plain DNS, which doesn't really have a sense of loggin in?

> for my Dialup users I had the same problem To settle that I have put
> "ndc reload" in /etc/ppp/ppp-on.local and that settled the problem.

I'm afraid I don't know what ndc is or does.

> I was looing for something like that in the LAN also, to make sure
> that the DNS was working and up.

DNS doesn't usually just stop working. Is your Internet link permanent?

> > Each service manager will generally log its activity; for example,
> > Samba will produce its own log, as will Squid, Apache, Sendmail, et
> > cetera. Some of these log files end up in /var/log, but you can find
> > others in the applications' directories, e.g. /usr/squid/log or
> > /usr/local/apache/log, depending on how you installed them (or how
> > RedHat installed them).
>
> This is what I am looking for.
> What do I put in /etc/syslogd.conf
> I would like to know who and how many times
> I have been accessed from the various machines.
> I normally get my httpd logs in /var/log/httpd/....

As I said, these applications usually don't use syslogd, and so you have
to read each individual log file. 'Accessed' via what service - are you
perhaps talking about people telnetting into your server?

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781