Re: sendmail SPAM

From: Kendall Lister (kendall@charon.net.au)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 16:21:13 EST

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, George Laiacona III wrote:

> >Which version of Sendmail are you using? It should not be forwarding mail
> >with a fake domain.
>
> How about verifiable doamins? As far as I understood, the latest
> Sendmail should refuse any relaying, yet through conducting a test on
> a Red Hat 6 server, I can send a note through that server from another
> domain. The user is valid, but we didn't "log on" to the server, just
> sent SMTP mail through it. How does it know if the user was valid
> then?

Checking user names doesn't have anything to do with relaying. If your
Sendmail is allowing relaying then you should reconfigure it - I have no
idea how Redhat have set up their Sendmail package, but I would be
surprised (and disappointed) if it was an open relay out of the box.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781