pump/dhcpcd help

From: Stephen Satchell (satch@concentric.net)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 02:42:29 EST

Thanks to all who wrote me about my problems with the dhcp clients (both
"official" and Red Hat's own version). It turned out that I needed to
download updates of both dhcp and Red Hat's "pump" to obtain the
functionality I needed.

On the advice of friends who are savvy on this stuff, I'm using the
Internet Software Consortium's package,
<ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/dhcp/dhcp-3.0b1pl12.tar.gz> for the DHCP server and
Red Hat's package, pump-0.7.2.tar.gz. The latter seems to work with the
RH6.0+updates distribution I'm running.

This is working well (with the -h change in the "pump" call) with the DHCP
server that Nevada Bell Internet is using.

Here is a list of the manual pages (from apropos) that I hauled up from the
update:

dhclient-script (8) - DHCP client network configuration script
dhclient.conf (5) - DHCP client configuration file
dhcp-conditionals (5) - ISC DHCP conditional evaluation
dhcp-options (5) - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol options
dhcpd (8) - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server
dhcpd.conf (5) - dhcpd configuration file
dhcpd.leases (5) - DHCP client lease database

The good news: I move to another ISP, and get a static address. Bye-bye,
dhcpcd.