Re: ASP pages on a linux server

From: Black, Richard (Richard.Black@COMPAQ.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 18:47:15 EST

I was unable to look up: http://www.php2.org/ <http://www.php2.org/>
try using: http://www.php.net <http://www.php.net>

I will look further, I can't seem to find any info that is saying ASP. They
just talk about the dynamic changing ...

                PHP Version 3.0 is an HTML-embedded scripting language. Much
of its syntax is borrowed from C, Java and Perl with a couple of unique
PHP-specific features thrown in. The goal of the language is to allow web
developers to write dynamically generated pages quickly.
(http://www.php.net/FAQ.php3 <http://www.php.net/FAQ.php3> )

Here's a news article though linked from the same site (looks like this is
what I've been looking for) ...

                PHP: a silent killer
                 December 22, 1999

                 by Jim White
                http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/JimWhite/JimWhite5.html

                  PHP is now running over a million web sites and with good
reason. PHP is open ource, it runs equally well on NT and UNIX, it's well
documented. PHP is no doubt stealing market share from Microsoft's Active
Server Pages, but the media has been unusually quiet about the issue. Even
as Apache's success has become front page news, PHP has gone largely
unnoticed. Maybe Microsoft wants to keep it that way.
(http://www.php.net/news.php3 <http://www.php.net/news.php3> )

Thanks for the link. I need to start working with ASP, and, of course, I
want to do it on a real operating system (Linux).

Thanks again,

Richard Black