Re: Log errors of network

From: Kendall Lister (kendall@charon.net.au)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 17:06:40 EST

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 lnet@col7.metta.lk wrote:

> What is happening is that the interface for 172.16.1.1 is deleted after
> some time and then my DNS will not answer the Lan query.
>
> If I do a login via modem the ppp interface will again be up and the DNS
> is listening on 172.16.1.1 and everything is OK again.

What is in your /etc/resolv.conf, and does named have any forwarders
defined? Named could be waiting for a resolution, and timing out when you
aren't connected to the Internet.

Also check that you only have one copy of named running - we had these
'deleting interface' messages for a few days once until I realised that I
had inadvertantly started a second copy of named without root privileges.

> The strange thing is that the DNS will not answer my LAN query unless
> it is also listening to the 172.16.1.1

As I said above, this could be to do with the way named is configured - we
had this situation once, but it disappeared and so we never found out
exactly what was causing it.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781