Re: Problems with Linux 2.2.14 and RTL8139 driver

From: Avery Pennarun (apenwarr@worldvisions.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 14:05:27 EST

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 09:52:45AM +0000, Taso Hatzi wrote:

> Avery Pennarun wrote:
>
> > Problems like these have plagued Linux since the earliest times, and I'm
> > sad to say they still haven't been fixed.
>
> The rtl8139 has been a bugbear for me too. I only ever use the stable
> kernel releases where it matters but the distributions ship with oldish
> driver code.

My particular comment was mainly about DMA (a skunk by any other name...)
memory allocation issues, which, despite numerous rewrites of the kernel
memory allocator, remain unsolved.

I'm using the 2.2.14 kernel and it's still got a broken rtl8139 driver.
Donald Becker's site has an update, but all it seems to add is a comment
from Alan Cox that says something like "the card is dead at this point."
Yeah, but I knew that already :)

> > Anyone interested in fixing the driver, please feel free to ask me for
> > details [of my problem] :)
>
> Do you have the specs needed to program it?

http://www.realtek.com.tw/cn/cn.html

Have fun,

Avery