Re: your mail

From: Kendall Lister (kendall@charon.net.au)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 16:24:57 EST

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Leroy, Brian G. wrote:

> I can't get DNS to work.
> I read a manual, but still can't get anywhere.

First things first: when posting to a mailing list, it's not necessary to
send copies of messages to individuals who are on the list - it just means
that they get two copies of your message.

> We have a small network, about 5 machines running Linux.
> All on ethernet, and no attachment to the internet.
> I am trying to configure DNS to work.

You obviously followed the instructions in the DNS HOWTO for setting up a
caching only name server. This is not what you want - you want a full name
server running your own DNS. I have not done this, but I can tell you that
you will need to empty out named.ca, and add more entries to named.local
for your machines. I recommend following the instructions in the next
section of the DNS HOWTO, wherein a dummy domain is created.

This seems like a lot of effort to go to for five computers - are you sure
that a full DNS system is what you want? You could just create a hosts
file that contains the names of each computer and copy it to each /etc,
just the old ARPAnet days...

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781