How to create packets on device driver layer?

From: Yi Chang (changyi@cae.wisc.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 05:40:12 EST

Hi,
Iam new here and have a question. I inserted a module in the
network layer(between IP and device driver). The purpose is to do some
bandwidth management on this psuedo layer. All packets would go to the
module then go to the device driver, and all incoming packet will go to
the module first too.(derived from shaper module)
I set up this module on both ends. How do I create packets on this layer
to let them pass massage to each other?
I tried to look in the source code, and found the packet construction is
like BSD socket--> INET socket--> protocol layer--> device driver.
BSD need to use like sys_socket(family,type,protocol) to create packet.
And I am confused if I should use that or something else.

Please help!

Yi Chang
University of Wisconsin, Madison
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~changyi