TCP Retransmit

From: Tewari, Vijay (vijay.tewari@intel.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 18:38:24 EST

I am experimenting with overload control for Linux servers based on TCP/IP.

Here is what i want to be able to do. I have a proxy server running squid
and a
web server to whom the proxy sends requests. When the web server gets
overloaded it will send a message to the proxy to that effect.

The proxy server has to do 2 things
        space out the subsequent requests (this will involve changing squid)
        prevent the TCP stack from retrying or alternatively give me control

        at application level to increase the TCP retry time outs.

I assume I have to give some access to the data structures used by the
following function in tcp_timer.c

void tcp_retransmit_timer (unsigned long data)

What would be the best way to approach this.

Thanks

Regards
Vijay